Report on ACBL Board of Directors Meeting St. Louis
The St. Louis NABC recorded 9961 tables in spite of grey skies, heavy winds and snow. The sun did deign to peep through the clouds for short periods. Players had a great time enjoying the entertainment, food and of course the great bridge played in the Renaissance Hotel and just across the street at the America’s Center. The opening night reception featuring food and live dancing music was well attended and enjoyed by all. Who knew bridge players had all those moves?
The Board meetings kept the directors busy from 8:30 a.m. to at least 5:00 p.m. with some committees meeting into the wee hours. Highlights are noted below:
Effective January 1, 2014, the ACBL Alert Chart is amended as follows:
- A weak jump shift by advancer is not Advancer is defined as the partner of an overcaller.
- All 2D responses to a strong 2C opening are non-alertable Effective January 1, 2014 the ACBL Mid-Chart is amended as
- Item #5 of the Disallowed section of the ACBL Superchart is amended to read, “Opening one bids which by partnership agreement could show fewer than 8 HCP in first and second seat (Not applicable to a psych).”
- The ACBL Mid-Chart is amended to allow a weak 2D or 2H opening bid showing at least 5-4 in the majors, if the five-card suit is (2)
- The ACBL Mid-Chart is amended to allow a weak 2D or 2H opening bid showing at least 5-4 in the majors, if the five-card suit is (6)
- The ACBL Mid-Chart is amended to add allow a weak 2H opening bid showing 5-5 (or more) in hearts and any other (2)
- The ACBL Mid-Chart is amended to add allow an opening weak 2S bid showing 5-5 (or more) in spades and a (2)
Entry Fees at NABCs
Effective immediately all participants in NABC and NABC+ events must be paid up members of ACBL.
Effective January 1, 2014, at all NABCs, entry fees for non-members and unpaid Life Masters will be $4.00 per player per session higher than for ACBL members and Life Masters who have paid their service fee. Charity events and events limited to players with no more than 20 masterpoints are exempt from this requirement.
Entry Fees at Regionals and Sectionals
Effective January 1, 2014, except for charity events, or events limited to players with no more than 20 masterpoints at all regionals, the sponsoring organization will charge a mandatory additional fee of at least $4.00 per person per session for non-members and non-dues paying LMs. The fee at sectionls will be at least $3.00. The additional fee shall be maintained by the sponsoring organization.
Eight is Enough Game: Effective immediately, a club may hold an ‘Eight is Enough’ game as an Open Game. There must be no upper limit on the number of masterpoints allowed for team members.
Senior Age: The minimum age for ACBL sanctioned Senior events shall be 60 years of age. Those eligible under present rules on December 31, 2013 will remain eligible in subsequent years. Effective January 1, 2014.
Playing Directors in STaCs: Playing directors in STaC games and their partners are ineligible to receive overall STaC masterpoint (silver point) awards, but are eligible to receive section awards. At Sponsor option, the above restriction may be waived. Such waiver shall be noted on the sanction application submitted to ACBL Headquarters.